While in public, you should use a face mask, scarf, bandana, face shield, or other face covering. N95 masks should be reserved for healthcare workers only.
Follow these protocols for when, why, and how to wear a face mask or other face covering:
- While in public, you should use a mask, scarf or other face covering. This includes indoor spaces and outdoor spaces when you are near others who are not in your immediate household.
- Those with breathing challenges or those under the age of two should not wear a mask.
- To protect others: When you wear a mask you protect others by preventing the spread of your own germs.
- Unknown COVID-19 status: You may have COVID-19 or have been exposed to the virus without showing symptoms.
- Protect the community: More people wearing masks results in better protection for everyone.
- Masks/face coverings should fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face.
- Masks/face coverings should be secured with ties or ear loops.
- Masks/face coverings should include multiple layers of fabric.
- Masks/face coverings should allow for breathing without restriction.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before putting on face covering.
- Cover both your nose and mouth with your mask/face covering.
- Avoid a lot of touching/adjusting your mask/face covering.
- Before removing your mask, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth when removing your mask.
- Completely remove your mask/face covering while eating.
- Masks/face coverings made of cloth should be washed and dried after each use and show no damage or change to shape.
- Wash in hot water with regular detergent and allow to air dry or dry on a low heat cycle.
- When your cloth mask is not in use, fold it with the side that goes toward your mouth folded to the inside. Store the mask/face covering in a resealable bag or other clean storage container.
Below are links for how to make a mask including a non-sew option.
CDC Sew and No-Sew Mask Instructions
CDC Face Mask Non-Sew Instruction Video
Face Mask Making Instruction Video
Face Mask Making Without Elastic Instructions