As we near the end of the year, it’s the perfect time to reflect on our accomplishments, evaluate areas for improvement and set goals for ourselves for the New Year.
At Iowa Specialty Hospital, we encourage you to put yourself first in this New Year and to focus on your health. Your health is your most important asset. Good health allows you to feel good, stay healthy and participate in the activities you want with your family and friends. Poor health limits your abilities, sometimes even your mobility, and can have a negative effect on not only you, but your loved ones.
There are the obvious ways to better your health, through diet and exercise, but we want to expand on those health goals with some other items to add to your goal-setting list!
- Attend all annual wellness checks. Make it a priority to schedule all of your annual wellness checks. From an annual physical to eye exams and other annual check-ups, ensure you are taking the preventative approach to your health to avoid surprises. Write down when you need to have these exams completed and set a reminder to schedule them around your birthday (or a date of your choosing). Don’t forget to add them to your calendar to remind yourself of upcoming appointments!
- Schedule screenings. Depending on your age and medical history, it’s important to ensure you attend recommended screenings, such as mammograms, prostate exams, colonoscopy, and others. Check out our health checklist (WILL INSERT LINK) and schedule any necessary screenings in the New Year. This is another preventative approach to your health that is simple and easy.
- Understand your benefits. Make sure you review your medical history and have selected the best insurance plan and options for your needs.
- Get moving. Regardless of age or fitness ability, it’s important to stay active for your overall health. Whether it be walking three days a week, attending a group fitness class, going for a swim at the Y, or other fitness routines, movement improves your overall health, especially as you age.
- Eat right. Do you eat a well-balanced and healthy diet? Processed foods and too much sugar can wreak havoc on our bodies. It’s important to be mindful of what you eat and how much you eat. If you have gained a significant amount of weight that you want to lose, consider seeking help from a professional, such as our Iowa Weight Loss Specialists team.
- Avoid unnecessary stress. We can’t always avoid all stress, but stress is very harmful to our bodies and minds, so the more we can eliminate, the better our overall health. Identify situations that are high-stress and determine a plan for avoiding those situations or how to mend them to be less stressful. Is it a career move? Taking more time for yourself? Or just setting aside 5 minutes every day for a mental time-out or meditation? If you find stress or certain situations unmanageable, consider seeing help with one of our counselors.
- Get your rest. We need sleep and rest. Make it a goal to set your bedtime and wake time to get the amount of sleep you need to function at your best (usually 7 – 9 hours). This will also help you focus and have more energy. Iowa Specialty Hospital offers a complete sleep study program for those who may be experiencing a restless night’s sleep.
At Iowa Specialty Hospital, your health and happiness is our priority. We, along with our partner providers, are excited to help you achieve your 2018 health goals. Contact us today at (844) 474-4321 to schedule appointments or to ask any questions about health needs.