ISH Junior Intern Program
Iowa Specialty Hospitals & Clinics (ISH) is proud to offer students the opportunity to intern at our facilities to discover the many careers available in the healthcare field.
The ISH Junior Intern Program focuses on exposing students to healthcare fields and fostering service values. This 6-8 week program will be held from June 1 - July 16, 2022.
Students must be a high school sophomore, junior or senior, or a college student. All students must turn 16 years old prior to July 16, 2022 to be considered for the program.
Potential interns must submit an application, parental consent form, and a written reference. Details are provided below.
Interns will be interviewed by ISH staff members. Individuals who are selected will be required to follow the student expectations, dress code, and facility Standards of Behavior.
As a Junior Intern, students will choose one or more departments based on their interests and availability. The goals of the program are to:
- Partner with local high school students to increase their exposure to work-related experiences prior to graduation.
- Help promote careers in high demand within healthcare.
- Help foster a safe, engaging, learning environment to encourage the pursuit of occupations in healthcare.
- Expand knowledge of occupations available in a hospital setting.
- Establish early connections and relationships with local students who may have interest in future careers at Iowa Specialty Hospitals & Clinics.
- Share experiences with students while they are onsite.
- Share types of roles and levels of education preparation needed for positions.
- Allow students to showcase their skills and engage in a project or task during their experience.
Student Selection Requirements
- Complete an application
- Include a reference from a teacher, counselor, advisor, coach, clergy, or ISH employee
- Applications may include a reference from a hospital employee, but is not required
- Preference will be given to employees’ children or nominations
- Location preference will be assigned based on the student’s interest in that field
- Students must turn 16 prior to July 16th
- Attend mandatory orientation
- Attend service excellence training
- Attend HIPAA training
- Fill out pre- and post-program surveys
- Commit to minimum weekly attendance
- Arrive on time
- Follow proper dress code - see below
- Follow cell phone policy
- Follow Standards of Behavior
- Provide advance notification of absences to point of contact
- Polo shirt provided by hospital
- Dark colored pants or khakis - no jeans
- Closed toed shoes
- Name badge issued by hospital
~ Cardiac Rehabilitation
~ Family Medicine Clinics
~ Information Technology (IT)
~ Materials (Supply Chain)
~ Meadows Assisted Living
~ Meadows Independent Living
~ Nutrition Services (Dietary)
~ Occupational Medicine
~ Occupational Therapy
~ Physical Therapy
~ Privacy / Security
~ Respiratory Therapy
~ Specialty Clinics
~ Sterile Processing
Additional educational topics will be provided on a weekly basis to enhance the learning experience.
- Job interview skills
- Resume writing
- Cyber security and digital citizenship
- Technology advancements
- Insurance and billing
- Proper lifting and body mechanics
- CPR and AED training
- Make It OK program
- Hand hygiene
- Environmental cleaning procedures
- Emergency preparedness
- Unique specialties / services
1. Complete an application on the next page: Junior Intern Program Application
2. Print and complete the parental consent form. Parental Consent - English Parental Consent - Spanish
3. Provide the reference letter and parental consent. Sample Reference Letter
Items may be:
- Emailed to: HSintern@iaspecialty.com
- Dropped off at any ISH location
- Mailed to:
Iowa Specialty Hospitals & Clinics
Attn: Robyn Paulsen
403 1st St SE
Belmond, IA 50525
For more information, please email HSintern@iaspecialty.com.